- The Highway 50 / Highway 60 project is now in the Construction Phase. Work will begin in July 2014. For construction updates and for more information please go to the County Website: www.dakotacounty.us To see Highway 50/60 information, select ‘Current Road Construction’ on the Transportation Tab.
- Comments or Questions: Please send to email@example.com (include ‘Hwy 50/60 Questions’ in the subject line).
- A construction information open house is being held to answer any construction questions and provide details about the planned construction in 2014 and 2015. Please click the following link to view the public open house invitation and information: Public Open House – Construction Information (PDF)
- Following the August 13, 2013 project open house we have added a summary of Frequently Asked Questions and responses from the Dakota County and City of Lakeville.
- For an update as of July 17, 2013, including the status of final design and Right of Way, please visit our Updates page.
- The following information has been added to the website:
- A public open house was held on August 13, 2013, from 4:00 PM to 7:00 PM at the Lakeville South High School Commons Area. A mailing for the notice of this meeting was sent out approximately 2-3 weeks prior to the meeting date. This was an informal open house which allowed residents, business owners, and others interested to:
- Learn about the final design and layout of the project
- Discuss and review how the different construction sequencing concepts being considered by the County and City will impact traffic that uses these highways and the intersection
- Obtain educational information regarding roundabouts. Maps and project information will be on display, and members of the project team will be available to answer questions and take feedback.
Project Overview / Need for Improvements
The intersection of County Highway 50 (Kenwood Trail) at County Highway 60 (185th Street) is a vital intersection in the ever expanding Dakota County arterial highway system in Lakeville, Minnesota. Due to increasing traffic delays, a study of the intersection was performed in 2011 which identified a multi-lane roundabout as the preferred intersection control method.
The study recommended installation of a multi-lane roundabout based on several advantages in comparison to a signalized intersection:
- Decrease in vehicle delay time at the intersection.
- Lower vehicle speeds, resulting in less severe crashes and increased pedestrian safety.
- Long term overall reduction of crashes.
- Less vehicle operating costs and less construction costs.
- Decrease in Right-of-Way impacts.
For more details on the current and future operation of the County Highway 50/County Highway 60 intersection, including background information, please reference the 2011 Traffic Study.
Improvements to this intersection will include the widening of County Highway 50 to Jubilee Way to the North, and the widening of County Highway 60 to Orchard Trail to the West.
Project Map (click to enlarge with more details)
Final Design: Current to Late Fall 2013
Right of Way – Meetings with impacted property owners and acquisition process: Current to Winter 2013/2014
Public Open House: August 13, 2013
Begin Construction: May/June 2014